DBUS policies and NetworkManager problems

Eugéne Suter easuter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 03:48:36 PST 2007

Hi,

I've built NetworkManager, but can't get it to start. I was told by a member
at the NetworkManager mailing list that the problem is most likely DBUS
related.
Anyway, I build Network Manager on VectorLinux 5.8 (Slackware 11
derivative). Since Slackware doesn't have support for either DBUS, HAL or
PolicyKit, I built these packages myself, following a LinuxFromScratch wiki
(CBLFS-Cross), making ajustments where necessary for the packages to work on
my system. In short, I build the packages, and made sure that the install
script also created a haldaemon and messagebus user/group.

When I try to run NetworkManager applet, enetering the "nm-applet" command
in a terminal, I get this error:

$ nm-applet

** (nm-applet:3811): WARNING **: <WARNING>       nma_dbus_init ():
nma_dbus_init() could not acquire its service.  dbus_bus_acquire_service()
says: 'Connection ":1.2" is not allowed to own the service "
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the
configuration file'

** (nm-applet:3811): WARNING **: <WARNING>       nma_dbus_init ():
nma_dbus_init() could not acquire its service.  dbus_bus_acquire_service()
says: 'Connection ":1.2" is not allowed to own the service "
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the
configuration file'

And it just keeps on like that indefinitely. I does certainly look like a
policy problem. So I added:

<allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>

to /etc/dbus-1/system.conf, just before the end of the  context="default"
policy.
After that I added my username to the NetworkManager.conf and
nm-applet.confdbus policies.

Then, I tried to restart the dbus daemon with /etc/rc.d/rc.dbus restart but
it gave this error:

Starting system message bus:  /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
Unknown username "*" in message bus configuration file
Unknown username "*" in message bus configuration file

Strangely enough, using htop, I can see the dbus daemon running, but its
obviously not loading the policies correctly.
However, I fail to find any problems with my policy files, so I'd like to
ask for some help in making sure they are correct (first time I've tampered
with dbus/hal...):
My configuration files are as follows:

/etc/dbus-1/system.conf:

http://pastebin.com/856654

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf

http://pastebin.com/856656

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-applet.conf:

http://pastebin.com/856658

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf and PolicyKit.conf (FWIW):

http://pastebin.com/856661
http://pastebin.com/856670

Do I need to load any extra services (I have PAM installed, but I'm unaware
if I need to have any king of pam-daemon running)?
I feel I'm really close to getting this working, so any help with this is
much appreciated!!

Regards,

Eugéne