[patch][dbus] Replace Python section of tutorial with a pointer to the dbus-python tutorial

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 05:25:23 PST 2007

Not *exactly* a patch (sending all the removed lines to the list seems
a little pointless :-) but I propose to replace the Python client and
server sections of D-Bus core's tutorial.xml with a pointer to the
separate tutorial in dbus-python. It's not finished, but is already more
complete than the Python parts of the D-Bus core tutorial, I think.

Any review of, or additions to, the dbus-python tutorial would also be
much appreciated. The source is doc/tutorial.txt.in in dbus-python git
(the only reason it's a .in is to substitute @VERSION@, which I think
I'll just take out in the next release anyway) and is in
reStructuredText (http://docutils.sf.net/docs/user/rst/quickstart.html -
if you just write plain text it'll usually do the right thing).

	Simon

Pseudo-patch:
   </sect1>

   <sect1 id="python-client">
-    <title>Python API: Using Remote Objects</title>
+    <title>Python API</title>
     <para>
-      The Python bindings provide a simple to use interface for talking over D-Bus.
-      Where possible much of the inner-workings of D-Bus are hidden behind what looks
-      like normal Python objects.
+      The Python API, dbus-python, is now documented separately in
+      <ulink url="http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/doc/tutorial.html">the dbus-python tutorial</ulink> (also available in doc/tutorial.txt,
+      and doc/tutorial.html if built with python-docutils, in the dbus-python
+      source distribution).
     </para>
[... the rest of python-client, and all of python-server, deleted ...]
   </sect1>

   <sect1 id="qt-client">