about activation

anlong sun anlongsun at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 23:01:38 PST 2007

Hi Thiago:

Thank you for your explain so much of dbus tech detail.

I am glad to explain what I am doing.

It is a "open with" function of applications manager in smart phone.

when user click a *.mp3 file in file manager, a open with file message

will be sent to app manager, app manager will find certain media player

to launch it to open the mp3 file.

before i implement it by Qt QCopchannel, store the message in
/tmp/pid-message RAM file by  "data >> QByteArray".

when media player is started, it will read the /tmp/pid-message file and
send out a signal

in MediaApplication.cpp  class.

Now, I implement it by Gtk and dbus. Also I want to do it by write and read
/tmp/pid-message,

but i don not know how to store into and read from a dbus message
pid-message.

I know some test code can write and read dbus message into a file, but i can
not find the source code.

It is easy to implement by "command lines",  something like  "MediaPlayer
/a/mp3/file.mp3"

but we want to make it a more general facility , something like

open_file_with_app_and_save_setting_and_tell_user  (const std::string
&file,  const  std::string  &app,  bool  save, const std::string
&user_message);

it is a auto message which is sent to app manager by file manager, app
manager will check if the media player is live, if live, then send the
message,

if not live, should start the media player first, and after the player is
ready to receive the message, send message then.

On 1/25/07, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> anlong sun wrote:
> >And we think queued messages function is very useful and valueble.
>
> I don't. I think it's an abuse of the current system.
>
> In any event, if this is implemented at all, it needs to be added as a new
>
> feature, under a new flag, for D-Bus 1.2.x. Common messages today cannot
> have any extra timeout.

Great, I am waitting for 1.2.x!

>Because it is more simple for developer : do not need write the .service
> >file
>
> I think that's a cost that's worth it. The alternative is to wait for
> D-Bus 1.2.0.
>
> >Also this function will not make bad the performance of dbus deamon,
>
> If you have not written the code and tested it, do not make this claim.

Yes, i have not written and tested the source code:)

It is difficult to predict the performance when add a new feature.

Marketing and Salse guys tends to say like that, I am a engineer:)

>for example after a certain time (30 seconds), deamon will delete the
> > queued messages.
> >
> >Is it difficult to implement it?
>
> Cannot say. Maybe not, since every message already has a timer -- the
> timeout one.

It will be a great feature, at least for us:)