user auth patches

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sat Jun 9 17:38:15 PDT 2007

Hi,

I am wanting to implement SASL anonymous login support
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4505), so to start I checked in the
following two patches. I still have to do the actual anonymous mechanism.

Patch review would be a very good idea, since I probably messed
something up. Testing this on a real system with a system bus would be a
smart idea also.

The Windows port is in luck since to do anonymous support I had to
abstract the user auth a bit more and allow there to be no unix user.

The Windows port is broken for the moment, but it should now be possible
to delete all the code for emulating dbus_uid_t/dbus_gid_t on Windows.
If it isn't let me know where it's still needed.

I'm not sure I did the new dbus_connection_get_windows_user() function
correctly; is a "char *windows_sid" really right, or how would we
ideally represent the Windows user? Should it be UTF-16 not char*? In
any case, this should be simple to change to whatever data type is
preferred as long as we do it before shipping a stable release. Let me know.

I have to point out that I previously requested this approach as the
right way to do things, and received a lot of complaints that it was too
hard and I was being unreasonable. To do this change took me last
evening plus this afternoon, around 8 hours. Add to that adapting
dbus-sysdeps-win.c again and fixing bugs, and maybe it's a total of 16
hours.