DBus AUTH Protocol

Patrick Davis p.davis at astronautics.com
Mon Jun 25 08:58:42 PDT 2007

Here's my problem. I'm trying to get an Application on one computer to
connect to the System Bus of another computer. I've added the following
line to the system.conf file.

<listen>tcp:host=192.168.103.9,port=1270</listen>

On the other computer, I try to connect to host 192.168.103.9, port 1270
in dbus using dbus_bus_get(), and this call always succeeds. But when I
call dbus_bus_register(), I see the following transaction in Wireshark.

AUTH EXTERNAL 31303030
REJECTED EXTERNAL DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1
AUTH DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1 6313430306d
REJECTED EXTERNAL DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1

And then the client quits trying to connect. The part I don't
particularly understand is that in the system.conf file, EXTERNAL is the
only authentication method listed. DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1 isn't, and when I
explicitly add it to the system bus it causes other applications to
fail. If I remove the <AUTH>EXTERNAL</AUTH> line from the system.conf,
enabling all authentication protocols to be used, I still see the same
transaction in Wireshark.

So my question is this. What other AUTH protocols are available for
DBUS, and how do I use them? I know others are available but there is no
documentation anywhere, or at least that I've found, on what they are or
how they work. Or is there something I can do to make EXTERNAL or
DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1 work with the current setup?

Thank you for your time.
Patrick Davis