Error running DBUS on ARM

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Mar 2 00:06:44 PST 2007

Shilpa Sheoran wrote:
>It seems that all the Path's have gotten hardcoded in the program.

Yes, the prefix is saved into the executables and the library. That's
standard practise. You should be more or less used to it.

>------------------------------------------- ****PROBLEM********:
>It is looking for dbus-daemon in my Local machine where I compiled it.
> /home/shilpa/dbus-arm/install/bin/dbus-daemon  is on my host machine.
>
>Why does it not find it in the current dir on the target?

Because it's not meant to. It tries to find it in $prefix/bin, then in
$PATH. Make sure it's in one of them.

You probably just want to adjust --prefix to wherever you're going to
install D-Bus to in your ARM.

>------------------------------------------- ****PROBLEM********:
>It is looking for system_bus_socket in my Local machine where I compiled
> it. /home/w40376/dbus/install/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket  is on my
> local  host machine.
>
>Why does it not find it  on the target?

Because you configured D-Bus to have the system socket there. You should
change it with --prefix, --localstatedir or --with-system-socket during
configuration of the sources.

You probably want both of the first two.

>Could not get password database information for UID of current
>process: User "???" unknown or no memory to allocate password
> entry
>
>Failed to start message bus: Memory allocation failure in message bus
>

>How can I get it to run?

Debug it. This looks like a real problem. D-Bus is trying to get the
information on the current user from /etc/passwd and it failed.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358