Plugin-based auth/transport (WAS: SSH transport)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Mar 2 09:16:04 PST 2007

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>The case for dbus forwarding in openssh is very strong, it's just a
>matter probably of whether the openssh maintainers are open to it. As a
>first step someone should probably ask them. (I don't know if they will
>have any familiarity with what dbus is or how the desktops use it, so
>there may be a lot of explaining mixed in with the asking.)

There's also a very strong reason not to do it: many applications are not
prepared to the fact that their peers aren't on the same machine.

I know many KDE applications that happily exchange file paths. To the
point, the whole KDE file watching mechanism (KDirWatch) was ported to
D-Bus and sends file paths back and forth. This will break if remote
applications are to use the local D-Bus indiscriminately.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358