<listen> element of the configuration file

Luigi Paioro luigi at lambrate.inaf.it
Tue Mar 6 08:33:13 PST 2007

Hello!

So far I've always used D-Bus with UNIX sockets, so my (session)
configuration files had something like:

<listen>unix:tmpdir=/tmp</listen>

Like this, I had a new socket each time I run dbus-launch, and a new
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS set up. Fine.

Now I'm trying to use TCP sockets:

<listen>tcp:host=localhost,port=6200</listen>

Well, the behavior is quite different. In fact, if I run dbus-launch
more than one time, I have this message:

-
Failed to start message bus: Failed to bind socket "localhost:6200":
Address already in use
EOF in dbus-launch reading address from bus daemon
-

Which means that I can run only one "TCP session". I can guess the
reason: the port to use.

Well, this is only a curiosity... have you ever thought to implement a
port increment system? I mean: while port N is occupied then try N+1 for
maximum K times...

There are other troubles or implications I don't see?

Thanks.

Cheers,

   Luigi