Seeing the session bus as another user

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Mar 7 00:01:20 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 07:47 +0000, Stuart Langridge wrote:
> hence not wanting to run a forwarding daemon. If it really is the only
> way to do it then I suppose that's the way it'll have to be, but I was
> hoping to avoid the complexity.

I'm afraid that's the only way; the session bus is designed to only be
available to programs within the session and we shouldn't encourage
users to bypass that I think.

(Btw, as both GNOME and KDE support the autostart spec [1] this isn't as
painful as you describe; you just package up your stuff (as an RPM or a
DEB or whatever) to drop a desktop file somewhere in /etc/xdg/autostart
and there you go.)

     David

[1] :
http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-0.5.html