Implementing a new auth mechanism

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 08:28:17 PST 2007

Zeeshan Ali wrote:

>   Of course but I think i already provided the information in english
> that you would get from looking at the patch and i only intended to
> get generic pointers that you provided so i didn't attach the
> backtrace but attatching it to this mail anyways.

Ah, OK. If you just want generic pointers then you have come to the
right place ;-)

The immediate cause of the crash looks pretty obvious (null pointer
dereference because user_database_lookup was passed both DBUS_UID_UNSET
and a NULL username). The root cause isn't clear to me offhand, but
probably you have to fill in the uid somewhere in the auth stuff.

>> I'm sure an auth-only test case will save you a boatload of time as you
>> work on this, since it makes the code you're working with fundamentally
>> much smaller and simpler.
>
>   Which of the alternatives that you suggested, you are refering to
> here? The unit test or the test app?

Either one, they are effectively the same thing. The test app might be
easier to work with but a little trickier to set up the Makefile and
headers for.