deploy the daemon

Simon Burton simon at arrowtheory.com
Fri Mar 9 15:14:59 PST 2007

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 17:40:24 -0500
Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Can I use this daemon for my app ?
>
> This is the system bus. The --session one is the session bus. The docs
> make various attempts to explain this, some may be clearer to you than
> others. There's an explanation in here:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/IntroductionToDBus

yes, and "man dbus-launch" was helpful.

> In short, there is a session bus for every X login session, and a single
> system bus for the whole machine shared among all users.
>
> > I don't seem to be able to
> > request a name (dbus_bus_request_name) when I use
> > dbus_bus_get(DBUS_BUS_SYSTEM, err_addr).
>
> The system bus is locked down by security policies, these can be found
> in /etc/dbus-1/system.d and there is documentation in "man dbus-daemon"
> To use the system bus you need to install a security policy to allow
> your application through in an appropriate way.

OK

> Which bus to use depends on what you're doing. You can also skip using a
> bus and just have two apps talk to each other, by running your own
> "DBusServer" in one of the apps.

Yes, well i've given up on this for now. (the high level language
we are using is rpython, which implements a large part of python ctypes,
but not callbacks).

Overall i've been very happy using DBus. The protocol and the API has fit
the case rather well. I had my own protocol half-implemented and then someone
pointed me to DBus. It has saved me from going crazy (one less thing to debug).

many thanks!

Simon.