winDBus authentication stage

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 13 15:04:52 PDT 2007

Peter Kümmel wrote:

> I thought all non unix files are platform-independent, therefore the hack.

They are *supposed* to be - except where necessary, e.g. even if we had
a DBusUser internal abstraction, we'd need
"_dbus_user_get_unix_uid(DBusUser*)" which would be called inside
dbus_connection_get_unix_user(), because as I've explained it is
necessary to have platform-specific public API in some spots in order to
interoperate with other frameworks and application code. If we had a
DBusUser that could not be converted to a normal unix or windows user
representation, it would be 100% completely useless to app programmers.

Aside from these interoperability and public API needs, the code should
be as platform-independent as possible. It is not always already as
platform-independent as possible, and where it isn't, there is work to
do when porting. That's the work that needs doing in order to port to
Windows. I have no objection to increasing the platform-independence of
the code, as long as it's done in the way that I've asked (avoiding
ifdefs, avoiding leakage into public API/protocol, following the usual
dbus code conventions, not implementing inherently single-platform stuff
on all platforms, and so forth). Please, make the code better.