CK D-Bus docs

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 07:18:20 PDT 2007

Hi,

There are a couple past threads on dbus doc introspection... there were
some kind of conclusions but nobody made spec or code patches yet, and I
don't remember the conclusions in detail.

Some may have been:
  - omit docs from current Introspect() and add an IntrospectWithDocs()
or something, rationale is to avoid pushing docs around when a program
is going to interpret it
  - markup within the docs is a giant can of worms to figure out what to
do with, since it can be arbitrarily complicated but we need a line to
limit the complexity in both libdbus and display engines that might
display the docs; I don't remember if there was a comprehensive proposal
here (think "what will be reasonable for a dbus-viewer thing to display
without too much implementation work")
  - we have to either punt translations or the docs will be huuuuuge
(cf. size of gconf schema file translations), not sure which way to go

Anyway, I guess some quick review of old threads and consolidation into
a proposal addressing the right decisions on some of these points and
others mentioned in old threads, might help move things along. Followed
by a spec and/or code patch of course ;-)