demarshalling messages

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Mar 23 11:31:26 PDT 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007 19:16 +0100, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 18:31 +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Friday 23 March 2007 14:10 +0100, Dafydd Harries wrote:
> > > A completely different approach would be to serialise DBusMessage
> > > to/from XML, but this would be less bandwidth-efficient and more code
> > > than just using DBus' own marshalling.
> >
> > However, it would have the advantage of not requiring D-Bus at either end
> > of the connection and could be translated into another protocol
> > (depending on the use cases)
>
> That is not the point of D-Tubes.  Tubes provides a generic easy to use
> way of getting a raw connection to another machine or host of machines.
> D-Tubes allows you to use D-Bus over tubes.If you want to use another
> protocol just use Tubes.  Defining yet another protocol is just bloat.

I am either missing a couple of postings of this thread or this information
has so far not been available to the majority of discussion participants.

Hmm, thinking about it, it could also be a clever joke along the "the Internet
is a series of tubes" fun.

Cheers,
Keivn

KDE user support, developer mentoring