REST like interface

Andreas Sliwka andreas.sliwka at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 07:21:54 PDT 2007

Greetings,
  while writing a small application I decided that I'd like to have REST
like set of interfaces published through dbus.

  Consider an application that manages 3 kind of objects, each instance
having a unique ID and a set of attributes and and some methods. I'd like to
expose each of these instances through an interface, while having a single
main interface that has holds some functionality for the service itself.
  This would make four interfaces:
    /my/application/MainInterface/
       - Exit( in='', out='')
       - Status( in='', out='s')
       - ListTypeA(in='', out='a(is)')
       - ListTypeB(in='', out='a(is)')
       - ListTypeC(in='', out='a(is)')
   /my/application/TypeA/
     - new(in='ssss', out='i')
     /my/application/TypeA/id1/
       - Delete(in='', out='')
       - GetAttributes(in='', out='ssss')
       - SetAttributes(in='ssss', out='')
       - DoSomething(in='ss', out='b')
     /my/application/TypeA/id2/
       - Delete(in='', out='')
       - GetAttributes(in='', out='ssss')
       - SetAttributes(in='ssss', out='')
       - DoSomething(in='ss', out='b')
  ... similiar for TypeB and TypeC

  Now my question: Is publishing such a REST interface feasible with dbus?

   I'd expect about a dozen instances of each type, so a total of less than
40 interfaces would be created, is this too much?

  Furthermore, I'd really appreciate some help on how to code this in python

Best regards,

Andreas