using dbus in the platform

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Tue Oct 9 10:14:48 PDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 12:51:16PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> In languages with exceptions, there's a way to "give up" and refuse to
> continue - throwing the exception. So we want to do that even for app
> bugs (checks). But in a C API, the convention - at least my preferred
> convention, and the one matching GLib - is the one libdbus uses.
> The GError docs go into some detail on the convention.

Except that this convention[1] is crap when you need to use the
library to write bindings for another language, especially an
interpreted one.  You kill any hope of having a good interaction with
a native-language debugger.  "Sorry, the application died in a native
call, we can not give you a backtrace or variables state".

In other terms, you're closing the possibility of using exceptions
when you're binding to a language supporting them in the native call
interface.

  OG.

[1] message and abort on bugs.