dbus: Proposed relicense to MIT/X11

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Sep 13 13:30:25 PDT 2007

Ryan Lortie wrote:
>I'd take this to mean that, as a package, dbus is licensed under the
>GPLv2.

Every single .c and .h file says otherwise.

>These programs can't take dbus under GPL (any version) since GPL is
>incompatible with GPL+exceptions (and _definitely_ incompatible with the
>binary modules that they pull in).  They also can't take it under AFL
>since that's also incompatible with GPL+exceptions.

GPL+exceptions is compatible with the GPL because the exceptions can be
dropped. Exceptions are additional rights, not additional restrictions.

The problem I see is when code is allowed to link to an application only
because of the exceptions -- i.e., GPL-incompatible code. Then, as such,
it cannot be used together with libdbus.

But, let me repeat my important points here: I approve of the clean-up. I
just want to make sure for contributors reading that I don't think GPLv3
is an issue today, with our code as it stands.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358