Is dbus good for heavy applications?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue Apr 1 14:36:25 PDT 2008

Huang Peng wrote:
> Hi DBus hackers,
>
> I am designing a new IM (input method) platform. I am considering using
> dbus as transport layer in the IM platform. The platform will provide
> input services for applications for CJK and other non English users. In
> the platform, when users type the keyboard, applications will send key
> events to IM manager (the dbus service), and then the IM manager will
> translate input key sequence to unicode chars and send them back to
> applications. In this use case, user will press about 30 to 120 key in
> one minute. The service will reply results to application about 60 ~ 240
> times in one minute. I don't know whether dbus is proper for this heavy
> use case. Can somebody tell me the performance of dbus and give me some
> suggestions?

Hi,

	we currently use dbus for a venue access control system, with a required
turn-around time of under 20ms.  That means between someone scanning their
ticket, and the turnstile letting them in, must be no longer than 20ms.

	Even though we're using modest hardware and are implementing everything in
Python, we manage this time with ample room to spare.

Given we're scanning over 80 tickets per second in real life situations, I
wouldn't worry about translating 120 keystrokes per minute. :)

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net