how to "discover" the session bus

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 12:24:58 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Shawn Rutledge wrote:
>  >On OpenMoko the issue has come up, how to "discover" the bus address
>  >of the already-running session daemon.
>
>  You shouldn't do that.
>
>  What's your use-case?

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Dbus

They put "dial the phone" functionality on the session bus.  I'm
thinking maybe it ought to be on the system bus?  Then this problem
would be replaced by a different (but probably common) one:  how does
a non-privileged user get permission to interact with the system bus?
(and so far that's not an issue because everything runs as root, but I
would expect that to change eventually)

Besides the phone functionality, I'm interested in gps (gpsd has a
dbus interface which I will try to figure out how to use pretty soon),
power management, Bluetooth and we'll see what else.  What do you
think, should all of these be system-bus services?  They are all
provided by daemons that should start up along with the phone, and
outlive the X session, and work even when X is not running.