how to "discover" the session bus

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Apr 8 14:33:44 PDT 2008

Shawn Rutledge wrote:
>They put "dial the phone" functionality on the session bus.  I'm
>thinking maybe it ought to be on the system bus?

You just have to ask the question: is that a session service or a system
service?

To help answer:
 - can you have two instances of the same service running, in two separate
sessions, without stepping on each other's toes?
 - does it require any system privileges?
 - does it share information among users? Does it mediate access to a
resource between users?

If the first answer is "no" or the other are "yes", chances are that
you're looking at a system service.

In the case of a dialler, I'd expect it to be a system-wide service.
Especially because I'd expect the reverse as well: call receiving. You
could access modem device just like we've been able to for the past 10
years, using Unix permissions on the /dev entry. But you need to perform
locks to prevent concurrent access from other users, which more or less
shows it's a system service.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358