Issues while using DBUS over TCP

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 11:07:31 PDT 2008

On 8/6/08, Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com> wrote:
> ANONYMOUS in the config file does not disable authentication really,
>  it disables identification. Auth is disabled by the patch to the bus
>  daemon.
>
>  There are two separate things:
>
>  1) proving your identity; the mechanisms in the config file basically
>  do this, though the config option is called <auth> which is confusing
>  perhaps. ANONYMOUS means "do not claim to have any identity"
>
>  2) authentication; once identity is known, the bus daemon decides if
>  the given identity is authorized. The bus daemon patch says "it's OK
>  to authorize anonymous", while without the patch, if you don't prove
>  an identity, you get disconnected.

Just a note that I think this is slightly nonstandard terminology.  In
other systems I've used, identification is mostly synonymous with
authentication (your #1); authorization (your #2) is not the same as
authentication (your #1).

This is, of course, a very confusing issue since the abbreviation of
both words is "auth".

Have fun,

Avery