roadmap

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Thu Aug 7 21:36:26 PDT 2008

To be up front on my position in this, I agree with keeping it simple, and
avoiding the "people are listening" callbacks.  If it can be done in a way
that you don't _have_ to handle it, then great - add the feature.

Whilst I understand Michael's position (I do MCU coding, so I understand how
precious every byte can be) I believe in the "horses for courses" philosophy.

And honestly, if I were to use DBus on an embedded platform, I'd be wanting
to plug in a different serialiser - the memory alignment in dbus is great
for performance, but not so for space efficiency.  Of course, the idea of
pluggable serialisers is interesting, but that's another story. :)

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Let's be crystal-clear that dbus not only _is_ but _should be_
> desktop-centric. That is the point of it, and complexifying it to be
> fully generic would make it much worse for desktop purposes. This is
> pointed out in the dbus docs and many times on this list. Please don't
> use dbus unless you're comfortable with this policy.

I think one of the things that has helped DBus come along as quickly as it
has, and take hold in the industry mind so strongly, is because of this
clear and narrow focus.

> Maybe matching signals is OK anyway, but generally speaking, dbus is
> designed for a short list of purposes and IMO changing that would be a
> giant mistake.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you writing your own dbus daemon that
tells services of new listeners...

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net