roadmap

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Fri Aug 8 11:00:49 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 12:46 PM, smog zer <smogzer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, i follow the mailing list but i do not agree that because Havoc
> does not use float it should not be supported.
> I use float all the time in my projects (3d and computer vision)
> because the graphics pipeline is optimized for float, and i also need
> dbus, so i do no understand the inconvenience of adding support for
> float as lots of people will use it.

Well, it's a fair bit of work to add while keeping back compat
(feature negotiation has to be added). If someone did that work, I
don't think float is a big problem to add, but it's not as simple as
just adding float everywhere double now appears in the code, because
of the compat issue. Feature negotiation needs to be added first to
the auth protocol.

Given that it's a fair bit of work to do feature negotiation, I'm not
sure float is worth it or that we have any volunteers that would be up
for adding it.