Shared Session Dbus

Alban Crequy alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 03:03:56 PST 2008

Le Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:42:06 +0100,
tomylan vydaman <vydaman at live.fr> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to use DBUS over TCP to exchange data between applications
> in multi-hosts. According to the DBus website, I can do it by sharing
> the session DBus of an user who is logged into different hosts with a
> same home directory via a network-file-system. But I do not know the
> details of this implementation:
>
> Which release of DBus permits the shared session bus?
> Do I need to modify the configuration files of DBus (session.conf,
> system.conf, …) when I use a shared session bus ? My applications run
> under LINUX RHEL 5.2 with DBus 1.0. Can I use this release to share
> an session bus or do I have to upgrade this release under RHEL 5.2 ?
> Thank you in advance and bests regards
> Tomylan

Sharing a D-Bus session between 2 computers can be a big security hole.
Is it the same user on the 2 computers? Giving access to your D-Bus
session means the remote user can do pretty much everything...

If you want an application to communicate with D-Bus on 2 computers,
you can use D-Bus but in a different session. You can look at Telepathy
D-Bus tubes, which is a way to send D-Bus messages to a IM contact
(Jabber or local network).

--
Alban