Sending new messages from a signal handler

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Dec 4 13:50:58 PST 2008

Lucas C. Villa Real wrote:
>Since signals do not require an ACK, does it make sense to hold a lock
>on DBusConnection after the signal is received and read into a buffer?
>Also, is this limitation something that's expected to be addressed in
>some near release? If not, do you have any advices on where to start
>looking so that I can start working on that?

The lock is the one that protects the list of signal handlers. As long as
you have signal handlers, the lock will be in place.

There are no plans to address this issue.

Bindings usually work around the issue by not calling out to user code
when processing incoming messages. Instead, they place the messages in a
queue and then call to user code after dispatching is done.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358