Introspection

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Dec 8 06:31:34 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:10 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Colin Walters wrote:
>>One thing that came up in the initial report is introspection.  Almost
>>nothing explicitly allows it right now.  I see a few options:
>>
>>1) Have projects use rules of the form
>>    <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.Hal"
>>               send_interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" />
>>2) Add rule syntax like: <allow introspect="org.freedesktop.Hal"/>,
>>and add that to the config files
>>3) Blanket allow introspection as a global exception to the default-deny
>> policy
>>
>>Opinions?  Other options?  1) and 2) require updating almost
>>everything, 3) requires another DBus release.
>
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Peer
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties
>
> Those interfaces should be available for all programs. Ok, maybe
> Properties on a case-by-case basis (if the app has properties, it has to
> enable that interface).

Yeah, I think we need to do this in DBus.  If we didn't, pretty much
all the existing configurations would be flawed; while services would
appear to work when communicating between statically typed languages
that don't need introspection, but fail when communicating between
e.g. a C service and a Python client.

I'll work on a patch.