Autostart my Service on System Bus

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 17 08:55:29 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 02:39 -0700, hannehomuth wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> sorry that I strech your nervs but I have another question. Is it possible
> that the autostart functionallity doesn't work on the system bus?. I've
> created my own Service and I wanna that this app should start if some Client
> invoke a method on my Remote Object. I've set the service file under
> /usr/share/dbus-1/services but it doesn't not work. I've have tried it on
> session bus and that worked well, but as you already may know I does not
> have the session bus on my target machine, because there is no X Session
> only console as root.
>
> Any suggestions?

System and session activation are two separate issues with different
security profiles.  First system activation is only supported in the
1.2.x series of D-Bus.  Second the activation file goes
in /usr/shared/dbus-1/system-services/ and third you need the extra line
in the service file User=<user to launch as e.g. User=root>.  If you
have not written a system service yet please also look at
the /etc/dbus-1/system.d/ for examples of how to write policy files to
allow you process to talk on the bus and other processes to connect to
you.

I would not suggest having a service that can launch on both the system
and session buses as they both have different security profiles and
trying to write for both in the same service will just lead to
potentially dangerous errors.