Object paths naming conventions?

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Sat Jul 19 15:59:43 PDT 2008

On Sat Jul 19 13:11, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 at 13:52:03 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > Instances are not D-Bus object paths. What the client sees as instance
> > is different. For a client the unique instance is the object path plus
> > the interface name.
>
> That's not the D-Bus object model, that's *your* object model.

ACK

> If I was to rewrite dbus-glib and dbus-python without caring about
> backwards compatibility, they would both behave like dbus-python in this
> respect. I suspect that dbus-java and ndesk-dbus follow dbus-python's
> model too (Matthew? Alp? Do they?).

Yes. As a client you can get "this object with this interface", which
avoids introspection, or "git this object, which implements all it's
interfaces", but as a service you export 1 object reference at one
object path. It it implements many interfaces, you get them all
exported, but you can't export another object there.

Matt

--
www.matthew.ath.cx
D-Bus Java