Session bus not starting

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jun 3 23:44:50 PDT 2008

morecowbell wrote:
>i'm trying to get the qt 4.4 remote controlled car example going. alas,
>i have encountered a few setbacks along the way and was wondering if
>some/anybody can help me out.
>
>os x, 10.53, dbus 1.2.1, qt 4.4

Are those the pre-compiled Qt 4.4.0 binaries for Mac? Or did you build it
on your own?

>1) i can get the dbus system bus running but not the dbus session bus.
>error message reads:
>
>$ dbus-daemon --session
>Failed to start message bus: In D-Bus address, character '+' should
>have been escaped

Please use dbus-launch instead of starting the daemon directly.

I know Mac has some specific patches but I have no idea if they have been
integrated into our main tree already. That would make the daemon be
launched automatically for the session busses.

>2) i changed the qt example from a session bus to a system bus. alas,
>only the car connects
>to the daemon but not the controller. any insights?

You'll have to check if the system bus allows registering of names.
Otherwise, the two programs cannot find each other.

If you have a debug build of QtDBus, you can set the environment variable
QDBUS_DEBUG to 1 and you'll get a lot of output that may help you
determine what's wrong.

>3) anybody have any suggestions for an automated launch script for os x?

Yes. There are patches around that do just that.

>4) i'm looking for preferably recent resources to connect to dbus
>across the wire (tcp)

The same restrictions apply currently: TCP is unauthenticated and
unencrypted. You can only use it safely if your entire network is secure.

Also note that QtDBus does not support peer-to-peer connections, but does
support TCP. That means you need a *bus* server (i.e., dbus-daemon)
running on TCP.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358