d-bus vs other interprocess communication system

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jun 6 08:03:08 PDT 2008

On Friday 06 June 2008 16:39:31 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Friday 06 June 2008 16:18:35 Adriano Pallavicino wrote:
> > Hi, i am Adriano ad i come from Italy. I have a question about d-bus and
> > how many resources utilize. Of course is the best way to share data to
> > and from processes, less code to write, so less possibility to introduce
> > a bug. But, how many resources cost it? If i have an arm11 500MHz with
> > 64Mb of ddr ram there isn't a problem, but if i have a small system with
> > small ram? Is better to use a shared/mapped memory? where is the border
> > line that can help me in the choice of one system or another? Thank you
> > very much
>
> Without knowing details, my feeling would be if the system is powerful
> enough to run linux without problems, it should be good enough for dbus.

It'll depend very much on what kind of data is being transferred, how much of
it and the maximum latency acceptable.

D-Bus was not designed for high-throughput low-latency transfers. For
instance, I would not recommend using D-Bus to transfer window pixmaps to a
frame buffer server (30 fps @ 640x480 = 8.8 MB/s). For that, a shared memory
is probably better, or transferring directly to VRAM. Actually, even for a
data download, where the latency isn't of issue, I wouldn't recommend D-Bus,
but a dedicated channel.

D-Bus is good for short, structured messages, point to point or point to
multipoint.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358