DBUS IDL, XML and FIFO?

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 13:49:02 PDT 2008

On 6/9/08, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> FIFOs and Unix sockets should have about the same speed. There's no reason
>  for one to be slower than the other. The connection setup time might be
>  greater for sockets, though.

I read some performance tests once in which FIFOs were considerably
slower for high-bandwidth applications, since their (default?) buffer
size is 4k compared to the 32k default buffer for sockets.

I don't know if the performance difference is still applicable in
Linux.  I do know that the default FIFO buffer is still small :)

Anyway, it's rare to find that the kernel-level transport is the slow
part of such systems.  It all comes down to userspace, which is
usually several times slower than the kernel.

Have fun,

Avery