dbus + tcp + no reply exception

achillean surtri surtri at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 09:27:21 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I have a server that's running the dbus daemon and listening on TCP port
4000; I can connect and use the bus fine if I try to access it from the same
machine. But when I try to access it from a remote machine I get a NoReply
exception (I'm using the python dbus bindings).

There aren't any firewalls and nothing's blocking access to the port; I can
connect to the port directly using telnet. I ran tcpdump and noticed that my
client connects, doesn't get a reply back from the server, and then the
client disconnects.

I also removed any auth-clauses in the conf file, which should make it allow
ANONYMOUS authentication. (I also patched the dbus daemon according to
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2008-May/009764.html)

This is my policy as defined in my dbus conf file:

<policy context="default">
    <!-- Allow everything to be sent -->
    <allow send_destination="*" eavesdrop="true"/>
    <!-- Allow everything to be received -->
    <allow eavesdrop="true"/>
    <!-- Allow anyone to own anything -->
    <allow own="*"/>
    <allow user="*"/>
    <allow send_requested_reply="true"/>
    <allow receive_requested_reply="true"/>
    <allow receive_sender="*"/>
  </policy>

I've had a hard time finding information about these options and would
appreciate any ideas about potential solutions (or help on how to debug).

Thanks,

-John