NFS-mounted home directory and dbus

Arkady bamboowarrior at gmail.com
Wed May 21 10:01:24 PDT 2008

Hi folks,

I'm a bit of a n00b, but I RTFM'd to the best of my ability. As testament to
my n00bness, I only just learned that if you've got a remotely mounted
directory, you can't access it when you're superuser (even with sudo, even
read-only). I think this may be contributing to my dbus woes.

The symptom is that I cannot start kde4 (on Kubuntu-8.04). Neither can any
of the other computers in my lab, as long as we're remote-mounting our home
directories (NFS, ldap authenticated). It works fine if we turn off NFS and
use local homes. kde3.x works, as do gnome and icewm.

Is there a way to get dbus to read from and write to /tmp instead of ~? I
recognize that this may not solve my KDE problem, but I figure it's at least
one step in that direction.

Cheers,
John

PS: The relevant bug report is at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/meta-kde4/+bug/187918

John O. Woods
--
Graduate Research Assistant, Marcotte Lab
Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology