Strange dbus problem on NetBSD-current

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Apr 4 23:48:19 PDT 2009

walt wrote:
>Havoc Pennington wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 4:40 PM, walt<w41ter at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I'm trying to get gnome working on my NetBSD machine, but I'm
>>> hitting a problem that I'm pretty sure involves dbus.
>>
>> Why do you think it involves dbus?
>
>Circumstantial evidence, not admissible in court :o)
>
>I see this problem with gnome and xfce4 (both use dbus-launch) but not
>with enlightenment or kde or the default twm desktop you get when you
>don't have a ~/.xinitrc (none of those three use dbus-launch).

KDE 4 also uses D-Bus.

And there's nothing in D-Bus code that will cause a process to be stopped
or traced. Much less a bunch of processes like you said.

There are three ways of getting a process into state T:
 - tracing it (SIGTRAP, which is used by strace and gdb)
 - sending a stop signal to it (SIGSTOP, SIGTSTP, SIGTTIN, SIGTTOU)
 - cause the terminal to send the TTY-related signals to the session

Given that you mentioned a freeze after typing a key, I believe it's the
latter.

What I don't understand is why that keystroke was directed to a terminal,
not via X. That's beyond my area of expertise. But it could be related to
the way D-Bus starts, so I suggest trying differently:

	eval `dbus-launch --exit-with-session --auto-syntax`
	exec gnome-session
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358