Strange dbus problem on NetBSD-current

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 09:40:32 PDT 2009

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> walt wrote:
>> Havoc Pennington wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Why do you think it involves dbus?
>> Circumstantial evidence, not admissible in court :o)
>>
>> I see this problem with gnome and xfce4 (both use dbus-launch) but not
>> with enlightenment or kde or the default twm desktop you get when you
>> don't have a ~/.xinitrc (none of those three use dbus-launch).
>
> KDE 4 also uses D-Bus.

The netbsd (pkgsrc) package system is still using kde3 by default.

> And there's nothing in D-Bus code that will cause a process to be stopped
> or traced. Much less a bunch of processes like you said.
>
> There are three ways of getting a process into state T:
>   - tracing it (SIGTRAP, which is used by strace and gdb)
>   - sending a stop signal to it (SIGSTOP, SIGTSTP, SIGTTIN, SIGTTOU)
>   - cause the terminal to send the TTY-related signals to the session
>
> Given that you mentioned a freeze after typing a key, I believe it's the
> latter.
>
> What I don't understand is why that keystroke was directed to a terminal,
> not via X. That's beyond my area of expertise. But it could be related to
> the way D-Bus starts, so I suggest trying differently:
>
> 	eval `dbus-launch --exit-with-session --auto-syntax`
> 	exec gnome-session

Alas, makes no difference at all.  But one thing about NetBSD that makes
me a little uneasy is that the X session takes over the same pseudo-
terminal where you type 'startx', in contrast to other OS's that put the
X session above all the ones running getty, usually tty7 or 8.

This has been true for years, but this keyboard freeze is recent, so
I'm not sure they are connected in any way. I'd like to be able to
move the X session back to "where it belongs" at tty7, but I've never
understood how X knows which pseudo-terminal to use.  Can you explain?

Many thanks.