how to use dbus-monitor to detect the reply message?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Apr 14 23:42:04 PDT 2009

Xu, Martin wrote:
>Hi:
>I used dbus_connection_send_with_reply () to send method call and get
> the reply method on system bus. I want to use dbus-monitor to monitor
> the method call and reply message. But I find that I can only see the
> method call and can not get any reply message. Someone can kindly tell
> me whether I can use dbus-monitor to detect the reply message? Thanks!

I think there was a bug in earlier versions of the D-Bus daemon that
didn't relay reply messages to all interested parties. I'm not sure that
it has been fixed.

In any case, the system bus usually has eavesdropping disabled. Using
dbus-monitor on the system bus will not work. Make sure you enable
eavesdropping in /etc/dbus-1/system.conf.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358