[announce] dbus4win

Havoc Pennington havoc.pennington at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 06:33:14 PDT 2009

Hi,

Cool! I am glad to see someone taking this back up. I think it's
possible the remaining patches are quite small and could be integrated
relatively quickly...

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:04 AM, Marc Mutz <marc at kdab.net> wrote:
> 3. Implement the unix transport for Windows using the design already chosen

One of the main discussion points in the past was avoiding "unix
emulation" - here are some posts I dug out of google, though none of
them explains it very succintly hopefully you get the idea:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2007-March/007260.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2007-March/007300.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2007-June/007912.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2007-June/007943.html

Some mention of the windows transport specifically:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2004-November/001784.html

I think it's useful to start from the dbus-specification.xml document
and explain the Windows transport and authentication in there in a way
that makes sense on Windows, as if the spec had been written with a
Windows transport from the start. And then implement same in the code.
Rather than starting from the Unix code, and getting it to build on
Windows.