Unix FD Passing

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Sat Apr 25 18:27:14 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:
>> But, this does raise the question, how does the client know whether an
>> AGREE is coming; is there a DISAGREE?
>
> No, but there is ERROR. The server has to respond either AGREE or ERROR
> on each NEGOTIATE. The number of NEGOTIATEs and ERRORs/AGREEs must
> match up. Hence issuing multiple NEGOTIATEs at the same time should be
> perfectly safe.

Sounds good. The spec probably has to be clear that there is only one
ERROR per NEGOTIATE sent, and that errors may not be sent
spontaneously; basically an
exactly-1-ERROR-or-AGREE-per-NEGOTIATE-sent rule, explicitly to allow
a batch of NEGOTIATE. Also I guess the replies and errors must be in
the same order as the NEGOTIATE.

Also maybe requiring some explicit language is whether the client has
to wait for replies to all NEGOTIATE before firing off the AUTH.
Perhaps there is no reason to require that.