future of at_console

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Wed Aug 5 18:20:14 PDT 2009

On Thu, 06.08.09 00:45, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Lennart Poettering<mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:
>
> > 2) Keep it but replace the dreaded pam_atconsole /var/run/console
> > checking mess we still have there with a tiny bit of code that
> > actually reads the ckit database. We don't need to maintain that
> > database twice and this would allow us to get fully rid of
> > pam_atconsole. I'd be wiling to prep a patch for this, too.
>
> Ah I see, it's a desktop file format and we have a parser.  Well, if
> you're willing to do this patch I'd definitely prefer being
> conservative here.  Though if someone's run a grep through say Fedora,
> OpenSUSE or Debian archives and not found anything still depending on
> at_console, that'd be convincing.

At least on OpenSUSE /var/run/console is actually named
/var/run/dbus/console or so, so I am pretty sure that on Suse nobody
but D-Bus uses that. On Fedora I couldn't find anyone either, but I
didn't look too closely.

I expected sudo would use it on fedora, but it doesn't. So that's at
least something.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net