D-Bus 1.3.0 released

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Thu Aug 6 13:51:43 PDT 2009

Hi Thiago,

> > Together with the at_console stuff mentioned by Lennart this could
> > become 1.3.2 and then we should be focusing on stabilizing it for the
> > final 1.4 release.
>
> I'm a bit more skeptical about the at_console stuff. Some more input from the
> distros on whether they use it or not would be nice.

personally I think that leaving at_console in for 1.4 and cleaning it up
would be the best. And then target the removal for the 1.6 release.

If the discussion about at_console would delay the 1.4 release, then I
vote for leaving that out for now. It is more important to get the 1.4
release out so we can actually profit from the new features.

> I'm skeptical because I've just had a bad experience with PolKit [*]. I'm not
> sure distros are using it as they should, so we could be breaking stuff.
>

> [*] I found out yesterday that I can't mount my external HD anymore because
> HAL denies me permissions and I couldn't get PolKit to tell it to let me (and
> that was after reading PolicyKit's manpage talking about "Override the active
> stanza for the given action with the supplied value" when I have no clue what
> an active stanza is)

That would be best answered by David Zeuthen :)

Regards

Marcel