D-Bus 1.3.0 released

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Thu Aug 6 16:56:08 PDT 2009

On Fri, 07.08.09 01:51, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

> 2009/8/7 Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de>:
> > On Thu, 06.08.09 23:22, Lennart Poettering (mzqohf at 0pointer.de) wrote:
> >
> >> I have now decided to add native consolekit support to D-Bus and keep
> >> at_console around for a while given that at least on Fedora a
> >> non-trivial number of D-Bus policy files still use it.
> >>
> >> Right now D-Bus already supports pam_console style /var/run/console
> >> support as well as Solaris style /dev/console support. I have now
> >> added a third kind of checking: using the CK database.
> >>
> >> That patch is mostly ready, I'll probably post it later today.
> >
> > OK, this patch set is now ready. Was a bit more work then I estimated,
> > a series of 8 patches.
> >
> > Here's the repo:
> >
> >       http://git.0pointer.de/?p=dbus.git
> >        git://git.0pointer.de/dbus.git
> >
> > This also includes a patch that enables the new automake 1.11 silent
> > build for D-Bus.
>
> Please use
> m4_ifdef([AM_SILENT_RULES], [AM_SILENT_RULES([yes])])
> instead and don't enforce a newer version an silent-rules in AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
>
> automake 1.11 is not so widespread yet to enforce it on everyone
> building from git.

How does that matter? Automake is only required for folks who build
from git, i.e. developers. And those should not have a problem with
keeping there system up-to-date.

I do see value that the tarball stays compilable on older
distributions, since it is used by admins and other non-developer
folks. But the git tree? If someone uses that he should be expected to
keep his things up-to-date.

1.11 is two months old already now.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net