D-Bus 1.3.0 released

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Thu Aug 6 19:29:37 PDT 2009

Hi Thiago,

> >> I'm a bit more skeptical about the at_console stuff. Some more input
> >> from the distros on whether they use it or not would be nice.
> >
> >personally I think that leaving at_console in for 1.4 and cleaning it up
> >would be the best. And then target the removal for the 1.6 release.
> >
> >If the discussion about at_console would delay the 1.4 release, then I
> >vote for leaving that out for now. It is more important to get the 1.4
> >release out so we can actually profit from the new features.
>
> I don't want my personal problems and bad experience with Polkit to
> influence the decision. I just want to make sure that we're doing the right
> thing: if depending on polkit will break distros because they haven't set
> up polkit correctly, then we should rethink.
>
> In any case, you seem to be in a rush to get the 1.4 release out. I'd like
> to get at least one binding supporting fd-passing before we release --
> preferably two. And at least get it tested with a non-libdbus
> implementation.

I think it is fair enough to get some bindings test done. I would love
to help you, but I am just using libdbus for my testing and don't need
any bindings. I had no problems so far.

My "rush" to get the 1.4 release out is that I prefer that we have a
wide testing audience for it. And the only way we get this is, if we get
it into the distros. The fd-passing patches were rotting here for a
while now and lets face it, only a few hardcore developers will actually
replace their dbus-daemon with a developer version. So at some point we
just have to go for it and release it.

Regards

Marcel