how can I find out which rule triggered a "Rejected send message"?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sat Aug 15 12:05:20 PDT 2009

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> I'm having problems with configuring a UMTS connection under Ubuntu
>> 9.04, because of dbus "Rejected send message".
>>
>> How can I find out which rules are responsible for this blocking (i.e.
>> is there a more verbose/debug mode of dbus which would tell me what rule
>> caused it)?
>
> Probably this rule in system.conf rejected it:
>
>     <deny send_type="method_call"/>
>
> That denies everything.

So I changed it to:

<allow send_type="method_call"/>

Restarted dbus, but it's still rejected.

> It's not a matter of what rule rejected it. You have to find the rule that
> was supposed to allow it, but didn't. Check /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf.
>
> I don't see any rule for PPP.

OK, so no rule rejected it and I have to allow it explicitly.

Supposing that dbus rejects this now:

Aug 15 14:56:25 laptok dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 11 matched
rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.55" (uid=0 pid=4042
comm="/usr/sbin/pppd nodetach lock nodefaultroute user e")
interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.PPP" member="SetState" error
name="(unset)" requested_reply=0
destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" (uid=0 pid=2534
comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --pid-file /var/run/Netwo"))

What rule should I place to allow it, not reject it?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org