Skipping the session bus hop for RPC

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 11:28:37 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:07 PM, Avery Pennarun <apenwarr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've done some pretty high-performance, very large database queries
> over dbus (yes, yes, I know it's not designed for that, but it works
> great :)) using this technique, and the dbus-daemon slows things down,
> but by a much smaller percentage than you'd expect.

I've bumped into situation (doing a large database query) where dbus
buffer size was a limitation - the message just didn't pass through
the dbus). I can't quote exact sizes here.

Sometimes it would be handy if method returns could be routed directly
to a socket on invoking process. The semantics of that would be pretty
clear, and writing huge blobs would be feasible (allowing serialize ->
de-serialize & use at the same time without having copy of the whole
data around).

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio