Debugging dbus

Dave Wood dave at
Thu Jan 15 11:15:11 PST 2009

On (23:34 13/01/09), Ozan Çağlayan <ozan at> put forth the proposition:
>Dave Wood wrote:
>> I'm trying to find out why I no longer have device icons pop up in kde and xfce.
>> I've so far verified that the kernel is recognising the device through dmesg,
>> and that udev is creating a device in /dev for it. Next thing seems to be to
>> debug dbus and hal and that's where I'm stuck at the moment.
>Trying to debug hal would make much more sense. First of all you can
>analyze the output of lshal command to see if hal has the related device
>entries in its global device list. If you see a problem there, try
>running the hal daemon manually without daemonising it and enabling and
>plug a device. Observe the whole output to catch some problems. I'm
>doing this with the following commands:
>killall hald
>/usr/sbin/hald --verbose=yes --daemon=no 2&> hald.log
>If HAL seems to not detect anything at all, it may be related to udev/udev rules. A recent HAL or udev
>update may possibly break the whole stuff.

Hal seems to detect my usb stick when I plug it in so I guess the problem
lies elsewhere. Not too sure what else to check at the moment.

Thanks for the help so far.

>Ozan Çağlayan
>dbus mailing list
>dbus at

"I'll rob that rich person and give it to some poor deserving slob.
That will *prove* I'm Robin Hood."
		-- Daffy Duck, "Robin Hood Daffy", [1958, Chuck Jones]