D-Bus efficiency question

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Sun Jun 14 18:04:27 PDT 2009

pete-c wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering if anyone knows how efficient dbus is in terms of memory
> usage?
> For example, what is the level of difference between transfering data by
> writing to/reading of a file in comparison to sending/receiving a call over
> dbus?

This really depends on your packet/message format.  The padding for
alignment in DBus (AIUI tuned for access performance) can seem quite
wasteful... but if your message is just a raw array of bytes, the overhead
is quite minimal.

If, OTOH, you send a dict of {sv}, the overhead can be quite significant,
since each entry will have the key string 8-byte aligned, plus a padded
variant type, plus aligned data....

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net