glib dbus bindings notes

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:56:51 PST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 8:19 PM, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:

> So I don't really know about bindings. I kind of assumed most other
> languages had their own bindings in place based on libdbus since that's
> pretty much what libdbus is all about.

Unfortunately (?), the raw libdbus is easier (and more reliable
dependency) than what else is available. I took a glimpse at dbus-glib
binding, and didn't see the reason it would be the "easier" binding. I
believe libdbus is presented too bad a light in the api docs.

> The only class of apps where IMO sync calls are OK (besides from
> threads) are in command line apps where the user knows what he is doing

Yeah, sync calls are necessary for programs that enforce synchronous
semantics on you (i.e. you are expected to block until you are done).
You don't always have a choice. Perhaps a way to cancel a blocking
call would be enough.

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio