using dbus peer to peer, i.e. without external bus daemon

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at eit.uni-kl.de
Fri Mar 27 01:41:36 PDT 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009 21:01:49 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:22 AM, Alexander Neundorf
> >
> ><neundorf at eit.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> >> I tried to connect to my self-made dbus server using Qt4 (address:
> >> unix:path=/tmp/mydbusserver) , and it hangs in
> >> QDBusConnection::connectToBus().
> >> In my server I receive two signal messages with interface
> >> org.freedesktop.DBus, object /org/freedesktop/DBus, and member
> >> NameAcquired, sender is org.freedesktop.DBus.
> >> And I receive them in the moment when my Qt applications tries to
> >> connect. I'm a bit confused, does the Qt application send these
> >> signals ? But they say the sender is org.freedesktop.DBus.
> >
> >I can't explain that, best guess you must be somehow actually
> >connecting to dbus-daemon instead of your server.
> >
> >connectToBus may well not work properly with a non-bus server, it
> >likely expects the server to implement some of the bus stuff.
>
> connectToBus expects to connect to a bus daemon.

What does connectToBus() expect from the other side ?
At least dbus_bus_add_match().
The thing is, I received only the two mentioned signals, I expected to receive
also some method calls, and then expected that I would have to answer them
properly.
Should I react in some way to these NameAcquired signals ? Where do they come
from ?

Alex