Unix FD Passing

Havoc Pennington hp at pobox.com
Wed May 20 13:55:16 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> I am not sure I fully understood your question, but I think generic
> demarshalling code like that wouldn't make sense anyway. Because in
> contrast to other fixed data types unix fds are special: you need to
> close() them after use.

Hmm, I think such code does exist now though (I think the Qt bindings do it?)

I'm wondering a bit if the user of libdbus should have to enable
feature extensions ... that would get pretty gross in the long term.
But the problem is that if libdbus supports fds, but the binding
doesn't, then in effect we don't support fds - but we're advertising
that we do.

We need to at least document that get_fixed_array will fail on fd arrays.