per-user dbus

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Fri Nov 13 16:20:44 PST 2009

On Sat, 14.11.09 00:10, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Ray Strode <halfline at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The session bus serves a very useful purpose, it defines the scope of
> > the user's session.  I think that was one of it's original design
> > intents (right Havoc?).
> >
> > There are various bits of infrasture that hook themselves to the
> > lifecycle of the bus because they expect that the bus will only
> > survive for the duration of the user's session.
> > I don't think we can break that gaurantee.
>
> There is actually a fairly simple solution; add an API to
> org.freedesktop.DBus to explicitly opt-out of being disconnected on
> session end.  Then if we make the "session bus" really "user-machine
> bus", things like pulseaudio could stay around if there's another
> session holding the usermachine bus open.

So instead of distuingishing between a session and a user+machine *bus*
you'd be distuingishing between session and user+machine *services*?

Not sure I am convinced... Seems to be the wrong solution to me,
i.e. introducing a service taxonomy where a bus taxonomy is more
appropriate and already exists?

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net